January 16, 2018 by aliya
How to do Parisian Chic: Amelie’s guide to French fashion
Street Style India – How to do Parisian Chic: Amelie’s guide to French fashion
If I were a character in Amelie, I’d be described the following way,
“This is Aliya Khan. She doesn’t like it when people don’t care about stray dogs in her society while they tend to their uppity breed dogs. She also dislikes people that don’t tie their hair while they are cooking or doing their makeup. She likes to remove lint from her coat. She also likes to meet new people every day. She likes it when people experiment with their personal style.”
Amelie is the story of Amelie, a girl who lives in Paris and works as a waitress in a small café. I first came across this movie on pinterest when I was looking for good frames in movies. To be honest, I was blown away by the photography more than the fashion of the movie. The outfits tend towards French fashion but it’s the way the movie is shot is what makes it timeless Parisian Chic.
Throughout the film, Amelie’s seen in basics, feminine dresses and maxi skirts. She wears masculine doc martens with ankle length socks. There is also almost always, the presence of the colors red, green and yellow throughout the film’s frames.
This is a definitive guide to dressing up like Amelie. Here are five tips to do Parisian Chic like her-
- Basics are your best friend. So, get basic Tees in solid colors like Maroon, dark green etc. And of course, buttoned scoop neck tees would make it even better
- A-line Midi and maxi skirts in colors such as black and navy blue take you closer to looking like Amelie.
- Anything and everything in Polka dots is a must. Anything in the print department that’s understated works well too. Amelie is seen wearing a top and dress in polka dots in the movie.
- In terms of cover ups, Amelie prefers long coats with a blouse and skirt and shrugs with her dresses, we think you should too.
- In terms of accessories, a beret and a headband is a must. For jewelry, have a couple of staples like geometric gold/silver jewelry. Have one pair of statement glasses. To tie up the look, something like Doc Martens would be perfect.
For this photoshoot, we decked my dear friend Swarna in a beret, statement glasses and geometric silver jewelry and froze her in a cafe in the timeless yellow-green tinge of Amelie movie. Go watch the film, if you haven’t.